Trying to get into the holiday spirit, I thought I would share my five favorite Christmas songs. See below for the playlist.
1. “O Holy Night”, sung by Lea Michele on Glee: “O Holy Night” is by far my favorite Christmas song, no matter who sings it. But this version by Lea Michele gives me chills every single time. Her voice is flawless.
2. “Little Drummer Boy”, Josh Groban: I’m not typically a fan of “Little Drummer Boy” but this version by Josh Groban is beautiful. It’s my Mom’s absolute favorite and I have distinct memories of us driving in her car in the middle of traffic with this song blasting. 🙂
3. “Joy to the World”, Mariah Carey: Most people love Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You”, and although that song is a classic, her version of “Joy to the World” is unique. It perfectly intertwines the Christmas classic with Three Dog Night’s “Joy to the World.” Or maybe there’s just something about the gospel choir singing in the background…
4. “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear”, Sixpence None the Richer: Yes, the same group that sang the 90s song, “Kiss Me.” Their version of “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” is perfectly simple and sweet.
5. “The Christmas Song”, Nat King Cole: The original classic. Brings me back to my childhood, decorating the house to the sounds of Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Bing Crosby.
Bonus: “Hallelujah”, Pentatonix: Not sure how much of a Christmas song this is but it was on their new Christmas album and their a capella version is perfection.
Classic: Charlie Brown Christmas album, Vince Guaraldi Trio: No explanation necessary.